The U.N. has launched an investigation into allegations that some U.A.E. players were paid by FIFA, but the U,S.
men’s national soccer team is not involved.
U.K. sports newspaper The Independent reported on Friday that several players, including goalkeeper Hope Solo, are accused of bribery, fraud and breach of trust.
The allegations include payments of up to $150,000 per match, the Associated Press reported.
The women’s team’s spokesman, Nick Dearden, said that players had been instructed not to speak publicly about the matter.
FIFA did not immediately respond to a request for comment.
FIFA has denied wrongdoing, but its ethics committee has launched a criminal investigation.
Former U.s. national team stars Hope Solo and Megan Rapinoe, the U-23 World Cup winner and U.W.W.-era player, are also among those accused.
Abby Wambach and Jozy Altidore, two of the current U. S. women players who won the U20 World Cup in May, were among those to respond to the accusations.
U-17 World Cup winners Abby Wam, Emily Sonnett and Sarah Hagen are among those who have not responded to the allegations.
The men’s team has not commented.
In a statement, FIFA said that it has opened an independent inquiry into the allegations and that it was “working closely with authorities to investigate and ensure that the best interests of the players are protected.”
The International Olympic Committee is investigating.
A FIFA spokesman did not respond to requests for comment on the matter Friday.
The U-20 World Cups were the Us’ first major tournament since the men won the World Cup last year.